When it comes to telescopes we all know of brands like Orion who make some of the better choices when you’re looking for a starter option. But many people don’t think of Orion for their binoculars. However, they do have a few different options to choose from, including this set of Orion Mini Giant 9×63 astronomy binoculars.
And for those looking for a good accompaniment to their telescope, they may actually be worth checking out. So, we’re going to look at these binoculars in greater detail.
Orion mini giant 9×63 astronomy binoculars review
Overall, the Orion Mini Gian binoculars are excellent value for money. As soon as you take them out of the box, you’ll notice that they’re made to a slightly better quality than your average set of budget binoculars. The lens and prisms are aligned with each other too, which means you don’t need to spend a lot of time playing around with them to get them working properly.
[lasso box=”B0000XMRKI” link_id=”424″ id=”5077″ ref=”orion-09463-mini-giant-9×63-astronomy-binoculars-black”]
If you’re looking for your first set of astronomy binoculars, then they’re definitely be a solid choice (you can check out our guide to the best binoculars here). They stand out for their ability to brighten up all of the deep sky objects you’re looking at, which is the goal for any good set of binoculars. Plus, they’re powerful enough to enable you to see the moon & stars, as well as potentially planets too.
There are other smaller things that you may not typically notice which make them an excellent choice for astronomy too. The fact that they’re waterproof means that they’re very easy to use on cold and damp nights without having to worry about damaging them.
Pros and Cons
- Above everything else, the most important thing when it comes to a set of binoculars is the ability to see your target clearly. The Mini Giants manage to deliver a bright image, which is exactly what
- For those that are just getting started on their astronomy journey, they’re ideal. You’ll be able to use them straight out of the box as they come fully aligned and collimated, which often isn’t the case with more expensive binoculars.
- One of the main things that people like about this set of binoculars is that they’re relatively inexpensive. They’re not the very cheapest on the market by any means, but in comparison to most other binoculars, they’re actually quite reasonable when it comes to price.
- On the downside, there is the chance that some people may find that this set of binoculars aren’t powerful enough for their needs. They’re intended to be used with a telescope, not instead of. So, you’re not going to get any up close detail on the night sky.
- Although they’ve got the term mini in their name, they’re actually not that lightweight. After holding them for any extended period of time, you’re probably going to feel it in your arms. So, they’re not quite heavy or powerful enough for a tripod, but quite weighty to carry with you when travelling.
Overall, the Orion mini giants aren’t intended to be a complete replacement for your telescope. They have a wide field of view, which is perfect if you want to gauge a general area of the sky to look at in more detail with your ‘scope. For this task, they’re perfect, as they offer a lot of eye relief and a clear view of the night sky.
So if you’re looking for a set of binoculars to partner up with your telescope, then they’d definitely be a solid choice.