There are many different brands that you can consider when it comes to astronomy. Whilst many people know of Celestron and Orion, most amateurs are less familiar with the brand Oberwerk. But even though they’re not as well established as the other two, that definitely doesn’t mean you should overlook them.
Oberwerk Mariner 8×40 binoculars review
If you’re searching for a set of binoculars at the budget end of things, then the Oberwerk Mariners are well worth checking out. They have a really wide field of view at only 8×40, which may not suit those who are looking to get up close and personal with the stars. However, what they can do is give you an excellent wide view of the night sky, and they’re ideal to use in tandem with a good telescope.
Like all good binoculars, they manage to give you a stable view of the night sky. The 8×40 specifications may end up putting some astronomers off in fear of a lack of power. Though the truth is that they’re perfect – if you know how to use them properly. And although they’re porro prism binoculars, they’re at the high end using a good quality BAK4 prism inside.
Plus, they manage to deliver enough eye relief that you can use them for long amounts of time without needing a break – the adjustable eye cups also can come in handy too if you want to adjust your view. But there’s definitely more to know about these binoculars, so I’ll run through the main pros and cons of them too.
Pros and Cons
- The best thing about this set of binoculars, and probably the most important aspect of any good scope, is that they manage to deliver a bright image. Brightness is a necessity when it comes to less powerful binoculars, as without it, you won’t be able to make anything out in the sky. So, they definitely deliver in that respect.
- You can easily use the focus adjustment in the center of the binoculars any time you want to adjust your view.
- When it comes to durability and rugged design, it’s extremely difficult to match these Oberwerk Mariners. They’re very well made for a fairly cheap set of binoculars, and you’ll have no worries if you plan on stuffing them into your backpack with all your other gear.
- The most common complaint people have about the Oberwerk Mariner binoculars is that they’re not powerful enough to see anything in great detail. However, the truth is that this is a bit of an unfair criticism, as they’re not actually designed to be the most powerful binoculars on the market.
- Another potential downside to this not so powerful set of binoculars is that they’re quite heavy, especially when you compare them to the more compact designs that are available in the modern era. This means that if you want a pair to travel around with, then maybe this set won’t be right for you.
- Those not used to using a set of binoculars like this may be put off by the fuzzy edges you’ll see around the peripheral of the lens. This is quite normal for a pair of binoculars like these, though it can take some getting used to.
Overall, there’s a pretty good reason why these Oberwerk Mariner binoculars are held in pretty high regards amongst amateur astronomers. In fact, over the past few years many different astronomy magazines (space.com being one) have given them glowing reviews and recommended them as a perfect choice for stargazing. So whilst they’re not a replacement for your telescope, they could make the perfect accompaniment.