When you’re looking at getting a new telescope, it’s worth looking at the Gskyer brand. Whilst you might not be as familiar with them as other brands like Celestron, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t consider them.
In fact, opting for a less popular brand can actually be a good idea sometimes. It means you can get a telescope with better specs for cheaper than you would paying for a brand name. One good example of this is the 600x90mm Gskyer, which is surprisingly powerful for its price.
This astronomical refractor telescope has a lot to offer if you’re looking for something affordable and of a pretty good quality too. Let’s take a look at some of the best features of this telescope.
Gskyer 600x90mm Telescope Review
- 【High Quality Optics】600mm(f/6.7) focal length and 90mm aperture, fully coated optics glass lens with high transmission coatings creates stunning images and protect your eyes.
- 【High Magnification】Come with three replaceable eyepieces(24X, 60X,120X) and one 3x Barlow lens. 3x Barlow lens trebles the magnifying power of each eyepiece
- 【Adjustable Tripod】This telescope allows for many different viewing positions with a adjustable aluminum tripod. The height of aluminum tripod can be adjusted from about 31.5-inch to 49-inch
If you’re new to telescopes, then you’re probably wondering what the 600x90mm even means (and you should go check out my list of the best telescopes for spotting galaxies to get some more information).
Well, it’s actually just a reference to the aperture and the focal length of the telescope (this gives the telescope a focal ratio of f/6.7). This aperture is more than enough with a refractor telescope, though it’ll give you quite a wide field of view. It’s not powerful enough for getting close up detail of celestial objects, though it does have a relatively solid image quality.
Another good thing about this telescope is that it’s very easy to set up. Some more expensive telescopes are quite difficult to put up, and will take a bit of time. However with this Gskyer, you can easily get set up within 10 minutes and be looking at the night sky. It’s also quite portable, so if you live in the city, then you can easily venture out to the sticks with this one to get a clearer view.
The tripod that comes with the telescope is very sturdy, and easily adjustable if you’re looking for something that can be used by both kids and adults easily. In terms of the scope itself, the small finder scope that comes with it is actually really impressive – you can attach the finder to the main telescope very easily, and this will allow you to find whatever planet or object you want to before looking at it in closer detail through the main telescope.
From a performance perspective, this 600x90mm telescope actually offers quite a lot. You’ll easily be able to see all the major planets & much more without much aberration. It’s a really good telescope for establishing wide angle views with fast optics ideal for some night time astrophotography.
Who are Gskyer?
From a negative perspective, I don’t think that Gskyer even exist as a company anymore.
This could be a major issue for those that are looking to buy additional bits and pieces for the telescope, as you might be a bit limited in where you can find attachments. That’s one of the good things about opting to go with a brand like Celestron – at least you can always find attachments really easily.
Other attachments should still work with your Gskyer telescope, so whether you need a 3x Barlow lens or a new eyepiece, you will be able to find something to use with your telescope.
Space objects are generally pretty easy to pick out when you’re using the best telescope possible, especially if you have one with a solid optical tube that may be the case with this model or the Gskyer 70mm telescope too.
This telescope comes with a few accessories, most importantly the lenses. The 25mm, 10mm and 5mm lenses will give you some nice variety to increase or decrease then power of this telescope. As well as this, you’ll get a Barlow lens which can further magnify your view.
It also actually comes with a mount to attach your phone to the telescope too, so if you’re interested in trying your hand at astrophotography then you easily can. This is in addition to the aluminium tripod that it comes with. This adjustable tripod is easy enough to carry around with you due to its lightweight build.
The accessories that comes with your Gskyer telescope 600x90mm aren’t everything, as you can always pick up more for a relatively cheap price. Though having a smartphone adapter, two eyepieces and a carry bag is ideal for those looking for a beginner telescope.
Pros & Cons
As with most budget telescopes, you’re probably going to have to compromise in some area – this is true for this one too, as whilst it’s a great telescope in some area, it does have its drawbacks too.
- Okay for beginners: Even if you’re completely new to astronomy, you’ll be fine using this refractor.
- Good Value: For its price, it’s actually a really impressive telescope and could hold its own with telescopes twice as expensive as this model.
- Well made: This telescope is made to a high standard, especially considering the cost. It’s not really comparable to a more expensive model, but it makes for a good entry level telescope for any amateur astronomer.
- Cheap accessories: Some of the accessories that come with this model are pretty cheap, and over time you’ll want to replace them with better quality product (e.g. the barlow lens).
- Poor manual: Although it’s pretty easy to set up, the manual it comes with is pretty useless. You can find more details online to help you set it up if you need it.
All in all, this Gskyer telescope actually offers pretty great value for it’s price. Considering that for a few hundred dollars you can get a easy to set up refractor that will give you clear views of all the major planets, it definitely is worth its price.
It’s a really good option for complete beginners, but for more experienced astronomers, you might want to look at increasing the budget a little and opting for something else. The truth is that this isn’t a particularly high quality telescope, but it does get the job done.
But, if you’re looking for a refractor telescope that you can take with you anywhere & has a relatively high aperture, then you’ll be happy with this Gskyer scope.