The Celestron Omni XLT 120 is a solid telescope that’s proven to be pretty popular in recent years. Though it’s not as well known as the Powerseeker series, it definitely has its fair share of fans already who recommend it as a budget refractor telescope. So if you’re in the market for a new one, and you don’t want to spend a whole heap of money, then you’re definitely going to want to check out our closer look.
Celestron Omni XLT 120 review
For getting a clear and crisp view of the night sky above us, the Celestron Omni XLT 120 isn’t a bad choice. It has all the aspects of a solid telescope, and there are a couple of features to note. It actually almost made it into our list of top telescopes under $1000 (you can check out that guide here).
One thing that stands out about this telescope is that it has a fairly long eye relief. This means that you can use it for long periods of time without having to worry about taking breaks, which is definitely something to think about if you’re buying your first telescope.
It also comes with an equatorial mount too. If you’re not sure what that is, basically it’s a mount that’s built on an axis that compensates for the Earth’s spherical shape. Usually they only come with more expensive telescopes, but this model comes with one. This is perfect if you think you might want to upgrade later in the future, as you’ll already be used to using this mount.
These are just a couple of things to think about when you’re looking at purchasing a telescope like this. But, let’s look closer at the design and see what the good and bad parts about it are.
Pros and Cons
- You can use the telescope straight out of the box with no issues. For many amateur astronomers that are using their very first telescope, this will prove to be a good feature as you won’t need to worry about collimating it as you do with a reflecting telescope.
- The telescope itself is very well made, and it’s definitely going to last you a few years. Often the case with low costing telescopes that they’re made form cheap materials, and though I wouldn’t say this is made with the best quality out there, it’s definitely good enough.
- One thing that definitely stands out about this telescope is the mount is of a high quality. Usually with budget telescopes like this the mount is pretty cheaply made, however the one that comes with the Celestron Omni XLT 120 is above average for the price.
- One of the main negatives about this telescope is that it doesn’t come with a whole host of different accessories for you to use. Beginners can usually benefit from getting to grips with eyepieces, Barlow lenses and other add-ons you can use with your telescope, so it’s a bit disappointing to have one that comes with very little extras.
- If you’re looking for a telescope that you can easily pack up and take with you anywhere, this probably isn’t it. Even though refractors tend to be better for this purpose, the Omni XLT can be difficult to carry around with you due to its weight.
All in all, I do think that it is worth checking out the Celestron Omni XLT 120 if you’re in the market for a new telescope. It’s actually relatively inexpensive when you consider the quality of the telescope, and it’s a step up in class compared to many other low budget scopes. However, it’s not exactly perfect, as it can be tough to stuff this telescope into the back of your car for longer journeys – but if you’re looking for a scope you can use at home, this may be the perfect fit.